About Mozilla Reps
Community is the backbone of the Mozilla project. As the Mozilla project grows in scope and scale, community needs to be strengthened and empowered accordingly. This is the central aim of the Mozilla Reps program: to empower and to help push responsibility to the edges in order to help the Mozilla contributor base grow.
The Mozilla Reps program provides a simple framework and specific tools to help volunteer Mozillians become official representatives of Mozilla in their region. Anyone 18 or older who is passionate and knowledgeable about Mozilla and who is ready to dive deeper into the project can sign-up to the program. The Mozilla Reps program helps push responsibility and authority further outwards, to more Mozillians, making it much easier for volunteers organize and/or attend events, recruit and mentor new contributors, and better support their local communities.
When joining the program, a Mozilla Rep agrees to take on the following responsibilities:
- represent Mozilla in their country/region
- promote the Mozilla Project and our mission
- build on and support existing/future local community efforts and programs
- inspire, recruit and support new contributors
- support and mentor future Mozilla Reps
- document clearly all his/her activities
An open and community-driven program
The Mozilla Reps program is open to anyone 18 or older who is:
- passionate about the Mozilla Project
- knowledgeable of the Mozilla organization, its mission, its products and its community
- willing to communicate to as many people as possible and keen to inspire people to contribute to Mozilla
Although anyone can sign-up to become a Mozilla Rep, that doesn't mean you automatically become a Mozilla Rep after submitting your application. Because Mozilla Reps are entrusted with new responsibilities and special tools to speak on Mozilla's behalf, to manage budgets, events and swag, each application is carefully reviewed by the Mozilla Rep council and each applicant, if shortlisted, must pass a short interview before officially becoming a Mozilla Rep.
ReMo Tools and Resources
To make it easier, faster and more efficient to organize/participate in events, to obtain sponsorship for Mozilla-related travel, to order / customize swag, to document an activity, Mozilla Reps have a specific set of tools and resources at their disposal. Find out more here.
Who runs the program? And how?
The Mozilla Reps program is a community-driven program that empowers hundreds of Mozillians around the world. It is managed by Mozillians (volunteers and paid staff) for Mozillians. The program's organizational structure ensures that the program runs efficiently, transparently, and in a participative / collaborative way. To learn more about the structure and governance of the program, click here.
If you have a specific question or if you just want to learn more about the program, contact one of the members of the Mozilla Reps council at reps-council [AT] mozilla [DOT] com
You're also strongly encouraged to reach out to other Mozilla Reps for any questions you may have or ideas you may want to share:
IRC - You can join us on these channels on irc.mozilla.org:
- #remo General Channel for ReMo (will be used as our main one)
- #remo-dev Channel on planning and deploying ReMo
- Reps-general General mailing list of Mozilla Reps
- Reps-webdev WedDev and Infrastructure planning and building mailing list
- Reps-mentors Mentors mailing list used by Mozilla Rep mentors to exchange tips and best practices
- Reps-students Students mailing list used by Mozilla Rep students to exchange tips and best practices