Report of Sayak Sarkar for December 2012
- Identifying key resources for creating a viable contributor base and sub-community in the Kolkata, West Bengal.
- Planning contributor outreach events in the Eastern sector.
- Planning first MozCafe Event at Kolkata.
Project Development & L10n Activities
- Planning and implementation of possible Static HTML based Badge Display system for Open Badges.
- Planning and implementation of Reps-Webmaker Project: Hackable Project Platform for Youth.
- Social API Planning Activities and development of How-To Kits for Social API Demo Event Organizers.
- Bug Fixes for BadgeWigdetHack App.
- Completed the Bengali (India) translations of SUMO app for Facebook, and also added the App to the Mozilla Pune Facebook Page.
- Firefox OS Localization Sprint.
- Reviewing of localized articles for Project NeMo.
- Planning for Mozilla Campus Konnect Event in Kolkata on 6th January.
- Planning for Firefox OS Event in Bangalore next month.
- Planning for GNUnify 2013 in February, Pune.
I've have been helping a couple of Engineering students from Bengal in understanding the mechanics of the Mozilla Communities and how to do some meaningful contributions for the communities.
Also organizing MozCafe, Kolkata for the creation of a formal Mozilla community in the Eastern Parts of India.
Need to start a formal outreach program for the eastern sector, and their seems to be a very negligible amount of FOSS / Mozilla knowledge penetration in this region.
Also, creating a formal contributor base in this region holds quite high priority as the potential contributor base in here is huge.
as Rep attendee
Remotely supported this event. Wasn't present on-site. This event is an initiative to form a Mozilla Club in Symbiosis Institute of Computer Studies and Research. This event was organized by REMO Priyanka Nag with help from Reps Mentor Soumya Deb The volunteers of this club will not only be involved in development work, but also be responsible for encouraging other students to take interest in all Mozilla Development work. These volunteers will also be responsible for organizing different Mozilla events in and around the college campus. Introduction and induction of newbies to the Mozilla community.
First MozCafe meetup event at Kolkata.Huge amount of interest about the event from the local communities. Ideal opportunity to tap into the local resources. Outcomes From The Meetup: 1) Creation of Mozilla Kolkata Community; 2) Identifying key areas of improvements for the local community; 3) Identified potential venues for future events in the area; 4) Formal Discussion with the local FOSS groups resulted in a lot of great ideas, including: a) Creation of a common events calendar for all local FOSS communities to share plan out their events in collaboration with each other; b) Planning out incentives for teachers/mentors from various institutes who promote FOSS activities among the students in the region; c) Planning out various competition-type online/offline events for students in the area to keep interest levels high.
Activity Planning and implementation Pad for Reps-Webmaker Project: Hackable Project Platform for Youth. (link)
Activity Etherpad for Reps Webmaker Project First Community Call. (link)
Activity Link to SUMO App at Mozilla Pune Facebook Page. (link)
Activity How to promote Facebook Messenger for Firefox in your community - A Guide. (link)
Activity HTML based simple code snippets for displaying Open Badges using the Text Widget of Basic wordpress.com sites. (link)
Activity Fixed minor BadgeWigdetHack bug. (link)
Activity MozCafe, Kolkata planning pad. (link)
Activity Mozilla Campus Konnect Event Page (link)
Activity Mozilla Campus Konnect Event Planning Pad. (link)
Activity Firefox OS bn-IN Translation sprint on 29th December, 2012 (link)